Hi,

On Sat, 2011-07-30 at 12:34 +0100, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Both things happen.  Windows sometimes makes a bit of a fuss about not
> shutting
> down when asked to.  It prefers to find excuses and panicks about open
> documents.  If you did have an open document then it will often tend to have
> problem and want you to "recover" it even if you dealt with those error
> pop-ups
> neatly during shut-down.  Neither thing always happens but one or the other
> or
> both do happen fairly often.
>

> I once shut-down halfway through writing something in a Gnu&Linux, got a
> brief
> warning that i ignored and it quickly timed out and continued with the
> shut-down.  Then i installed a completely different gnu&linux over the top of
> my
> OS and opened the  text-editor to find it reopened the unsaved text-file with
> only a few words missing.  Sadly it was a very unimportant note and i've not
> repeated the experiment because it's too risky to do stuff like that.  It
> shouldn't work so it was quite a surprise.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)

I think the default is to assume there was a problem that caused an
"unexpected shutdown" of any open documents. I think it is more when
power goes off or the OS decides it must reboot than when a user forgot
to shutdown the application correctly. It is very difficult for an
application to know why it shutdown "unexpectedly" so good practice is
to assume a problem occurred and any open files need to be recovered.
--
Jay Lozier
jsloz...@gmail.com