On 08/12/2011 11:59 AM, Rob Harriman wrote:
> Hi,
> Am a newbie to Libre Office so apologies if this has been answered
> elsewhere.
>
> When I load .docx files into Office 3 for view/edit the formatting is
> shot to pieces and the Table of Contents is not picked up when included
> in the original.
> It appears that .doc files are loading ok.
> I thought that .docx files were supported by LO. Apologies if this
> assumption is incorrect.
>
> Is there anything that I can do to address these formatting issues, or
> must I convert these .docx files to .doc format before reading them in LO?
> Thanks

There are considerable issue with OOXML/MOX[1] files:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=docx

Then again, Microsoft also has issues as well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML
<http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/open-a-word-2007-document-in-an-earlier-version-of-word-HA010044473.aspx>

Your best bet is to ask users to use .doc rather than .docx (preferably
.odt, but we all know that isn't realistic).

[1]
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LibreOffice_OOXML