On 2011-09-09, Ken Springer wrote:
> On 9/9/11 9:19 AM, Nuno J. Silva wrote:
>> I guess some people who don't know the rules and aren't used to mailing
>> lists (which includes looking for guidelines before posting) are people
>> who would rather subscribe through a web interface.
>>
>> An idea would be, while keeping the usual mailing list stuff (the
>> ability to subscribe by sending an email to a specified address and so
>> on), having a web subscription interface that would drive the user
>> through two or three slides concisely explaining some important rules,
>> and how to unsubscribe.
>>
>> Of course /then/ some people would skip the slides...
>
> I've often thought of something similar, i.e. when a use
> registers/signs up, that use automatically gets a document sent to the
> user's registered email address.  And then have the user acknowledge
> the user has received and understands the posting rules, netiquette,
> etc..  Something similar to having to agree to a EULA when installing
> software.  When the user gets his/her post pulled for not following
> they guidelines (I'm assuming continuing errors in posting, not the
> occasional error where the user may have had a simple brain lapse :-)
> ) they can't claim they didn't know.
>
> And... You could create said document in LO!  ::grin::  But sending
> the user a PDF would be better.  :-)

No, the idea here is exactly to force users through small[1] explanations
*before* they subscribe. That is, said web subscription wouldn't be made
until the user finished the small "slideshow". And to avoid overdoing
it, it should be in plain HTML.

[1] "small" means it shouldn't be the entire contents of RFC 1855 and
additional guidelines, just a simple set of rules.

(And actually, I think sending it as a PDF instead of a plain text
e-mail would be a bad idea. If you're sending it by e-mail, why not just
put it in the e-mail? PDFs aren't good for on-screen reading, anyway.)

Even if the user wants to skip it, they still has to skip each "slide"
to get to the submit form.

Also, a key feature would be that users who are already used to mailing
lists and find the subscription email can easily skip this and subscribe
by mail.

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg