According to everything I could find online, what I'm trying should
work. I looked at Bugzilla and could not find anything, so either I
found a new bug, or I'm not doing something right (not ruling that
out!).

In a Writer document
   A style has been created which on the 'Outline & Numbering' tab, in
the section 'Numbering', is set for 'Numbering 1'.
   Another style has been created which is linked to the style just
mentioned, but on the 'Outline & Numbering' tab, has 'Restart at this
paragraph' selected and 'Start with' set to 1 (but I've also tried
setting it to various random numbers).

In this midst of a section all set to use the first style mentioned
above, one paragraph has been set to use the second style -- but the
numbering does not start over. The numbering continues in sequence.

If, instead of applying a Style, I select 'Format' / 'Paragraph', and
select 'Restart at this paragraph' and set the number to 1 (again,
I've tried setting it to various random numbers), the numbering does
not start over, same as when using a Style selection.

I'm running LibreOffice 3.3.3 / OOO330m19 (Build:301 / tag
libreoffice-3.3.3.1, Ubuntu package 1:3.3.3-1ubuntu2
Ubuntu 11.04, Linux 2.6.38.11

Any ideas? Or should I file a bug report?

--
T. R. Valentine
Your friends will argue with you. Your enemies don't care.