From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamil...@acm.org]
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2011 19:03
To: users@global.libreoffice.org
Subject: RE: [libreoffice-users] Re: Rountrip Conversion Problems (was Re:
Should LibreOffice ... secret formats?)

Gary,

I see word-wrap just fine on the web page you linked to.
It appears that the list provided automatic word wrap. It
won't reflow if I make the window narrower than where it
did auto-breaking, so I couldn't read it comfortably with
my phone's browser, unless the forced wrap is something
like 30 characters (with landscape viewing).  But the auto-
breaking is there, with a line width of around 110
characters, it seems.

I also see word-wrap just fine in the e-mail you sent to me.
So the answer is yes, I would see it all just fine.

The conflict is with clients that do know to word-wrap the text,
which is kept in paragraph-level streams so the client can do
correct word-wrap with whatever the displayed line size is.

I know some list archives *prevent* work-wrapping by using
<pre> instead of <p> elements when plaintext is presented
via HTML.  The GMANE page you linked to uses <pre> but then
does automatic word wrap to keep line width at around 110
characters.  Works fine on my monitor [;<).

When email is word-wrapped with hard line breaks, it is
then ugly in situations when the client also does automatic
word-wrapping.  And when there are ">" reply-nesting markers,
it gets worse.

Catch-22.

So if I sent HTML-formatted mail, would that actually work
better for you?

 - Dennis

PS: This message manually word-wrapped for your pleasure.

PPS: There is an SMTP IETF RFC that explains how to auto-
matically handle word-wrapping and tell when not to word-
wrap a line.  It appears that knowledge of that is not
uniformly distributed.  I think the architectural principle
is that the recipient would know what its wrapping needs
are and the sender has no way to know what works, hence
no pre-wrapping inside paragraph text.