Sigrid Carrera wrote:

> You can insert a Math object in any other component like Writer,
> Calc, Impress...
>
> I don't know of a way to type %alpha and get then the greek letter
> within "plain" Writer.

Just to add to what you've mentioned: To insert a Math object into
Writer you can do the following:
Insert > Object > Formula

You can actually type the formula first, select what you've typed, and
then insert a formula object (this "converts" the text to a formula).
You can also assign a short-cut key to "Insert > Object > Formula" if
you don't want to use the mouse every time.  Just be careful, there
are 2 "insert formula" commands in Writer.  The other (assigned to F2)
creates a Calc-style formula that actually calculates an equation,
rather than displaying a formula.

Another alternative is to type the letters "fn" (without the quotes)
on a new line and press F3 (Run Autotext Entry).

Regards
Stephan