On 13 October 2011 09:53, e-letter <inp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a word processor equivalent to the \thinspace instruction in
> LaTeX and ideally a keyboard shortcut to enter into documents?

You didn't say what OS you are using, but there are a variety of
spaces available using Unicode characters:
U+2000 - en quad (en space)
U+2001 - em quad (em space)
U+2002 - en space
U+2003 - em space
U+2004 - three-per-em space
U+2005 - four-per-em-space
U+2006 - six-per-em space
U+2007 - figure space
U+2008 - punctuation space
U+2009 - thin space
U+200A - hair space
U+200B - zero width space

You can access this through (menu) Insert / Special Character

I don't know that there is a way to use (menu) Tools / Customise to
assign a keyboard shortcut to a particular character, but you could
create a macro to insert the character and assign a keyboard shortcut
to the macro.

--
T. R. Valentine
Your friends will argue with you. Your enemies don't care.