Isn't OCR part of a scanner package of software? I know that my printer/scanner devices all came with some OCR packages.

Why do you want/need an OCR extension for LO? That type of thing is a real hassle to create. It would be like adding a Calculus package to the Calc module. It is just too hard to do something like that, in my opinion.