Hi :)
I think the best bet is to start a fresh document and copy&paste the contents
of the old document into it and save as "Odt".  You will find that is radically
smaller than you expect and gets rid of a lot of the kludgy mess of hidden code
stored in the document.

Once you have an Odt that you can edit as the original document you can then
use "Save As .." to use formats that other people might prefer.  Odt is
becoming very much more popular and usage has risen dramatically even in the
last few weeks let alone the last year.

Rtf is not plain text.  It was built by Microsoft as a proprietary format.
Although they kept claiming it was open for any other program to use they kept
restricting access to upgrades for it until they had been able to incorporate
those upgrades into their own programs.  Also when developing it they were not
hugely interested in the needs of other programs and seemed to be pushing
people into buying their product rather than being able to use other people#'s
programs.  The main MS format was Doc so Rtf never really got the attention it
deserved as most of the development effort went into Doc instead.  MS are
ceasing to develop it at all now and are likely to phase it out in order to
push people into their new "Open" format, DocX which can only really be read by
MS Office again as they again don't really stick to their alleged specs that
are published for other people to use.  It is interesting to see that DocX
created in MS Office 2010 doesn't always
 display properly in MS Office 2007 so people are forced into keeping on buying
the newer products.

Rtf doesn't contain all the private data and ancient revision history of a
document in the way that Doc tends to.  However, it does still contain a lot of
kludgy mess.  Just try opening it with a text-editor.

Odt and other OpenDocument Formats, such as the spreadsheet one and the
presentation one are developed by OASIS which is a conglomeration of many
different companies including IBM, Google, TDF. Apache (previously Sun) and
many others that want to be able to develop good products and exchange
documents easily without relying on Microsoft's benevolence in allowing them to
compete with a core profit-making product produced by MS.