On 11/14/2011 04:08 AM, Séamas Ó Brógáin wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
>> When you paste from the docx, can you try "paste special", unformatted
>> text and gain success.
>
> That’s what I normally do, and I’m sure I did it on this occasion.
>
>> Can you paste the text from docx into a file, save and view it with
>> ghexedit to identify the character.
>> You might be able to paste the character in here to find some info.
>> http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/search.htm?q=%C9%
>> AC&preview=entity
>
> Thanks for the tip about ghexedit. I didn’t know about that. It seems
> that the offending character is 000A, which is simply a line feed. I’ve
> dealt with these before: in fact I have a routine that includes
> converting them all to paragraph breaks beforehand (changing \n to \n in
> the mysterious way of regular expressions). I’m not sure that I did it
> with this one, though.
>
> NoOp: Thanks for the information about the bug report. It seems pretty
> certain that my problem is related. (I tried to add to the bug report
> and created a Bugzilla account but the interface defeated me, and my
> comment didn’t get through.)
Let me know if I can be of help. Bugzilla requires that cookies be
enabled, so make sure that you have those turned on in your browser.
Nothing else special is required (no Java, Flash etc).

Just ran across yet another case of a .docx crashing LO and OOo-dev:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.openoffice.general/57343
[Problem with the Open Office Text Processing]

The file can be downloaded by right clicking Dr. Kostopoulos'
attachement. It will download as a .bin file - just rename it to a .docx
file.
<http://cache.gmane.org//gmane/comp/openoffice/general/57343-001.bin>

1. OOo 3.2.1 (go-oo Ubuntu distribution build linux)
OpenOffice.org 3.2.1
OOO320m19 (Build:9505)
ooo-build 3.2.1.4, Ubuntu package 1:3.2.1-7ubuntu1.

The file opens properly and displays 7 full pages of text including
References and Biography etc., with no problem.

2. OOo-Dev (standard build linux)
OOo-dev 3.4.0
DEV300m106 (Build:9582)

Crashes OOo immediately & leaves a lock file in place.

3. LibreOffice 3.3.4 (standard build linux)
LibreOffice 3.3.4
OOO330m19 (Build:401)
tag libreoffice-3.3.4.

Crashes LO immediately & leaves a lock file in place.

4. LibreOffice 3.4.4 (standard build linux)
LibreOffice 3.4.4
OOO340m1 (Build:402)

Crashes LO immediately & leaves a lock file in place.