Hi everyone,

while discussing the possible platforms for an official user forum, the idea
arose[1] to also evaluate a Q&A forum, similar to the well-known
stackoverflow[2].
I've set up an instance of askbot to allow users to test such a forum and
comment on this idea. You can access it at http://osqa-test.libreoffice.org.
Feel free to register an account (at the moment, local user accounts, Facebook,
twitter and various openid providers are supported) and test the installation.
Comments, bug reports and improvement suggestions are very welcome, either by
using the "give feedback"[3] link at the bottom of each page or at the website
list or, of course, in askbot itself[3].
For a explanation how such Q&A platforms work, please see the faq[4] and my
short explanation here:
* Q&A forums don't provide room for general discussions, polls, rants etc. and
are therefore more targeted.
* Users can select correct answers and vote for answers. Selected and most
voted answers are shown first, drastically improving clarity.
* User activities such as answering questions or voting answers leads to karma.
With more karma, the rights of users grow until the user has full moderation
rights. This allows to grow a self sustaining community.
* Answers can be edited collaboratively (so called "community wiki" posts)

Of course, trying it out is worth a thousand words :)

Cu,
Alex

[1]: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/msg06443.html
[2]: http://stackoverflow.com/