I have a Brother MFC-240C Printer/Scanner/Copier/Fax/PCFAX/Photo Centre.
To the best of my knowledge there is no default scanner software for Ubuntu.
     Simple Scan was installed with the system. I didn't like it so, I
installed
     Xsane Image Scanning Program, which was not much better, so I found
and installed
     gscan2pdf which is great.
I just checked, whereis found both sane and xsane.

Yes, I can use gscan2pdf to scan documents. If memory serves I can even
copy and paste from it to LO. I just wanted to avoid running a 2nd
program as LO is supposed to do this.

BTW. A good reason for having gscan2pdf 0.9.x is that it has 3 OCR
engines in it. Tesseract-ocr 2.x.x is the best, it recognizes several
languages, though you have to download the language files. Once I have
gscan2pdf 1.0.0 set up so that I can install it, it will recognize even
more languages and scripts. As gscan2pdf 1.0.0 seems to include the
Tesseract-ocr 3.x.x engine and the language files.

--
Udvarias Ur

This letter was generated and sent from Thunderbird on Ubuntu Linux.