I just switched from NeoOffice to LibreOffice on my Mac.  LibreOffice is much
more reliable!  I was getting mysterious
disappearances of pictures in NeoOffice and have had no such problems since
the switch.

But one new problem is that when I export a PDF and then view it in Preview
(in MacOS 10.6.8), there are full-width
hairline white horizontal rules aligned with the top edge of some JPGs in
the document.  These rules don't appear when
I view the document in Adobe Reader, but they do seem to appear when I
/print/ even from Adobe Reader.  So I'm
guessing the exported PDF has some not-quite-standard feature that isn't
working in MacOS.

An example is at http://cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/bug.pdf

Thanks!