Jay wrote:

> Is this a screen resolution or a printing problem. Could you specify
> which font(s) are troublesome?

> Also, I forgot - what OS are you using?

GNU/Linux (Ubuntu 11.10).

Various fonts, including Plantin, but mostly my own (work in progress).
In all of them I have verified the character widths in Fontforge.

The fault appears on screen, and I must confess that I had not thought
of printing a test. In doing so now, however, I think I have discovered
where the problem lies. In what I use as normal editing mode (what Open
Office and Libre Office mysteriously call “web layout”) the problem
occurs; when I change to “print layout” it disappears. Likewise, when I
print a file the problem is not there.

Thanks to your question I now know where the problem lies, and indeed it
is not such a serious one if I know of a way around it, and can be sure
that texts will print properly.