On 02/03/2012 03:58 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    I have a spreadsheet sent by a client as .xlsx and saved by me as .ods.
> When I try to sort the rows on one tab I am prevented from doing so by this
> error message: "Ranges containing merged cells can only be sorted without
> formats."
>
>    How do I identify what cells have been merged? I see none.

Click on the column heading (A, B, C etc) and the merged cells should
become obvious (they will fill with color the cell and the ajacent
cell(s) to the right).

> And, once
> identified do I unmerge them by putting the cursor in one of the cells and
> selecting Edit -> Merge cells?

Click on the merged cell; if you have the 'Merge and Center Cells' icon
on your toolbar, you'll see it light up - click on it to unmerge the
cells. If you have not added the icon to your toolbar; click on the
merged cell and select 'Format|Merge Cells|-click on 'Merge and Center
Cells' to uncheck & unmerge the cells.