Hi :)
No, i had already posted an answer to this thread.  Then i read another post
which made me think of something else and then a little while later i thought
of another thing.  So i made a real mess of posting too many times.

I have my cache set at 20Mb but i have also raised the "Memory per object"
higher than any of the pictures or graphics in my documents.  I sometimes use
Gimp to reduce the byte-wise size without losing too much quality.  Often
photos from a camera are such a high resolution that they would look good on a
roadside bill-board.  Scaling them down to about twice the size they are going
to be in the document means they still look good
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Lite_Quickies/
http://kerryshamblin.com/index.php?page=tutorial-web-images-gimp
http://www.ahotw.com/2008/08/09/gimp-image-cropping-for-web/
This link does a lot more than i normally have time to
http://www.geekazine.com/guests/basic-gimp-preparing-pictures-for-the-web
I only usually get photos down to a couple of hundred kilobytes but logos and
stuff are usually fairly easy to get down to maybe 20Kb.

Images occasionally vanish from documents so it's a good idea to keep a back-up
of them outside the document.  If you save in Odt format then you can find all
the images by opening the document as an archive.  (Create a copy of the file.
Rename the file-ending from .odt to .zip and then double-click on the file's
icon).  So it's easy to get a folder full of the images you use before they run
into trouble.

It's not clear what operating system you are using.  Xp or a Gnu&Linux such as
Ubuntu?