It is not trivial to add finer control on how protection of cells deals with
formula-changing cut-paste and other move/insert/delete operations involving
cells that protected formulas depend on.  For starters, there needs to be a way
to communicate the enhanced conditions on protected cells via the ODF format.
There is no such provision at the moment.

It is possible to handle this with configuration parameters carried in ODF.
Unfortunately, that is intensely implementation-specific and frowned upon for
something this deep into interpretation of the format.

Either way, there remains the problem of having this work in interchange among
enough other products that the feature is safe to rely on outside of a
situation where all users can be required to use the same software.

Interoperability with use of Excel is often a significant factor for many
users, especially once Excel supports OpenFormula in its handling of .ods files
(something expected eventually although I have no idea when).  It might be
worthwhile to review what the flavors of protection are in .xlsx and in Excel
2010.  There might be an avenue there to something that could be done
compatibly in ODF, digging into ISO OOXML for how it is done at the format
level.

I'm curious to know if the finer-grain options that are available there are
helpful in your use case.  Can you take a look?

 - Dennis

PS: There is still a problem with the protection lock passwords not being
portably-supported between Office formats and ODF formats, although there are
ways to make that work better.  Presently, the protection is simply turned off
when transferring in either direction between formats.