This is quite strange, indeed.

I created another test document in Micro$oft Word with the Times New Roman
font (see attached bullets_test_2.docx, and the bullets showed up correctly
in LibreOffice 3.5.2. So at this point I was thinking it is just a font
issue.

However, I opened another document, a meeting agenda for teaching
assistants, that someone sent me (sample_bullets.docx). This was also using
the Times New Roman font, but the bullets appeared as "^"s again!!!

Can anyone confirm this? Is there anyway to see what is different between
the bullets in these two documents?
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3909470/bullets_test_2.docx
bullets_test_2.docx
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3909470/sample_bullets.docx