On 04/15/2012 12:38 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
> Hi :) The 6_24 was the first one that seemed to cause slow-downs in
> earlier versions of LibreOffice, 3.3.x and 3.4.x branches (prior to
> 3.4.5).  More recent versions of java seem to have often caused
> crashes as well as slowdowns.  The best version seems to have been
> the 6_21.  That seemed to be the pinnacle for those early LOs.
>
> LibreOffice 3.5.x and 3.4.5&3.4.6 seem to prefer the newest possible
> versions of java, preferring  ultra-latest versions such as 7_3 even
> before they get released.
>
> On Gnu&Linux you are considerably safer than if you were running
> Windows or even Mac.  Mac started with unix-based security so they
> tend to be significantly safer but they are a proprietary system so
> presumably they are not able to respond so quickly to threats.  I
> think making something proprietary introduces other potential
> vulnerabilities anyway even though that is contra-intuitive.

Right...

You keep promoting earlier versions of Java, I guess you've not heard
what happened to Apple for not updating their Java versions:

<https://support.apple.com/kb/HT5228>
<<http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57410476-37/apples-security-code-of-silence-a-big-problem/>>
<http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/04/14/apples-flashback-fixes-three-belts-and-a-pair-of-suspenders/?iid=HP_LN>