You want to use it, that's fine.  I should probably have
said it's not necessary for all printing environments,
such as desktops with attached printer.  CUPS adds a layer
of complexity to an otherwise simple installation - lpd/lp
"just work".  If that's not the case with you and CUPS
slides into place and works, great.  Just remember, one
size does NOT fit all.

Bob Melson

> Well, ALL my printers, network and USB, have CUPS-based drivers.  One
> only has a CUPS-based driver and not any other type.
>
> What is wrong with CUPS for the single user printing systems?
>
> I use a Ubuntu desktop with 4 different printers, one being an older USB
> printer.  I have not had any problems with CUPS based drivers.
>
> I still use 3.4.6, so I do not know about 3.5.2.2, but my question is
> why CUPS is not appropriate for desktops with attached printers.  Never
> have heard this before and I have been using CUPS since Ubuntu 9.04.
>
> On 04/29/2012 02:10 AM, Bob Melson wrote:
> > Just installed 3.5.2.2 as an update in FreeBSD (8.3, AMD64 and i386) and
> > am unable to configure printers following the LibreOffice help page for
> > installing printers under unix.  As well, there is no default printer.
> >
> > Following the help page instructions, I have gone to
> > <install-path>/libreoffice/program and have attempted to run spadmin.
> > Doing so, I receive an error message (message panel) telling me that no
> > printers can be installed because the file system is read-only, but no
> > indication what filesystem it's referring to.  So, where do I look or,
> > better yet, what do I do to get my printers configured?
> >
> > I've been told, informally, that LO has gone from supporting lpd/lp
> > printing to a cups-only regime.  If so, I suggest that this is a major
> > blunder since cups is not appropriate for many situations - small
> > installations with few users, desktops with attached printers, etc.
> > What's the truth here?
> >
> > Bob Melson

-----
The greatest tyrannies are always perpetrated
in the name of the noblest causes -- Thomas Paine