I write simple documents all the time, but my preferences don't seem to
matter to LO.  I choose a font, but it changes on me.  I cut or copy and
paste, and the font changes, even though I copy the exact same thing.
Times New Roman seems to be the dictator here.  And the size always
changes.  Lines will suddenly become a 24 pt rather than 11 that I usually
use.

The spaces between lines and paragraphs will change, and I can't change
them back.  Most of the time I can't even use the backspace to move a word
up to the last line.  And I can't move the first word (indent it).  If I
click on a word that starts in the wrong place, there are no little
triangles up in the top ruler, so I can't move the line or paragraph.
There are other things, too, but if you can help with this, maybe all will
be fixed.

I understand that I may have done something unawares, so I thank you
beforehand.

Wanda Moore