Hi :)
The 3.5.x branch definitely does use a different folder for the users
settings.  For soem reason i got confused and gave the old and the new paths
for Macs but the Windows pathname change is similar.  For pre-Vista versions of
Windows it used to be

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\LibreOffice\3\user\

But with the 3.5.x has changed to

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application
Data\config\LibreOffice\3\user\

If the upgrade process is claiming that it copies the folders and then doesn't
that is really bad.  If it still deletes the old folder than it's appalling!
Losing data is one of the worst things that can happen in any system!  Time for
you to post a bug-report if you can!
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport

I still haven't tested the upgrade feature.  I uninstall the old one and then
'reinstall' the new and then remember i was meant to take a copy of the first
UserProfile folder and cuss and then do the least amount possible to set-up the
profile but inevitably forget 1 or a few users and cuss again.  Luckily it's
only about a dozen machines now but i really need to be more organised so i can
scale-up or at least do it more reliably and faster.