Hi :)
The devs are doing a "code clean up" as part of the whole process.  The whole
code has been reduced by somewhere around 30% last time i heard.

Even before the code-clean-up started, and AOO at the moment, are still far
tinier than MS Office.  For something really tiny you might having a quick go
with Gnome Office, that is AbiWord (word-processor) and Gnumeric
(spreadsheets).  Neither have the type of integration that LO has with all it's
other modules, such as Impress or Draw but i think Gnumeric manages to have
some very nice features squeezed into it's tiny size.  AbiWord can be a bit of
a pain as it lacks many of the nice features we seldom use in Writer.  For me
the annoying thing was not being able to set it to default to saving everything
in MS formats which i rarely do nowadays anyway.  Another option if you are
looking for smaller&lighter is google-docs although that kinda requires a
decent internet connection.

Anyway, the size is coming down and becoming more compact but the delay in
start-up might be something the devs could solve if a bug-report was posted
about the 2 different issues;
1.  clearing the caches
2.  stopping so many network calls at start-up
I doubt they can do much about 1 but maybe 2 is fixable?