Exactly Tom. With Calc, setup cost and time is next to zero, with data entry not much more. With Base setup cost and time is non-negligible and data entry is much more time (and therefore real dollar cost) consuming as each field needs to be filled in by hand when using a form. With a spreadsheet I can actually cut & paste the info. from a website directly into Calc. Can that be done with Base?

Seems to me that the best solution even if using a database is to first enter into a spreadsheet where it can then be saved as a file of CSV and then imported into a database should I find the need.

Bottom line is it's already done in Calc - took about a minute - while doing it in Base requires sitting down and spending time and money on first creating a schema with forms and further, one needs to be a master of SQL which most people including myself are not. (Inner joins, outer joins, left right... haven't a clue. Cut & paste? click, drag, shift-click, click, done, repeat as needed - no higher brain power required.)

In theory a database is more elegant and conceptually appealing, but in practice a spreadsheet IMHO wins the day. YMMV.