Hi :)
I think that was all the start of the Ubuntu split away from using Gnome?

I think 1 big advantage that Unity started with was that it had figured out
touch-screen right from the start and had it all built-in.  Gnome were still
refusing to start thinking about touch-screen.  So even tho Ubuntu's usage of
Unity was a Pita it was clearly going somewhere with handhelds, and tablets and
all that whereas Gnome was diving into a hole by limiting itself to desktops,
in an era where we keep being told that it's the end of the desktop.  (Not that
i believe the hype because like all such statements it's a blatant
exaggeration).  A few releases on and Unity seems quite usable, i even prefer
it to Gnome-alikes now.