From: Felmon Davis <dav...@union.edu>
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] attempting to find an answer and instead ...
To: users@global.libreoffice.org
Date: Friday, 5 October, 2012, 5:11

On Thu, 4 Oct 2012, anne-ology wrote:

>       Thanks for this explanation.
>
>       Just thinking ... before the 'phone, folks would ring the doorbell
>                                 after the 'phone, folks would ring the
> 'phone ...
>                                    so I guess ping is the cross between
> ring and pc -
>       interesting that's it's ping rather than p-ring p-ring p-ring ...

quotation from "List of computer term etymologies"
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_term_etymologies>

'The author of ping, Mike Muuss, named it after the pulses of sound
made by a sonar called a "ping". Later Dave Mills provided the
backronym "Packet Internet Groper".'

probably better to look things up than speculate.

although not sure how reliable wikipedia is. I recall WWII movies
where the crew of submarines suffered silently through 'pings' from
enemy warships on the surface trying to locate them.

F.

--
Felmon Davis

There are no failures at a class reunion.