Hi :)
Interesting choice.  Google-docs perhaps?  AbiWord?
http://www.abisource.com/
All OpenSource, not just free but Free too.  We all use the same native format
and can all "Save As..." MS formats too.  LO and i think Google-docs too can be
set to default to saving in MS formats but it's best not to.

I have just checked to see which version of LO is working happily on the Win7
machines here but it's 3.5.6, not the .4 you were trying.