Hi :)
I thought most of the Wizards had removed their dependance on Java?

It might be worth trying 2 different approaches.
1.  Switch off java in LO
Tools - Options - Java
and untick the top tick-box.  If you do something that needs java a pop-up box
will grumble at you and allow you to re-enable java and re-try whatever it was
that needed java.

2.  Try an older version of java.  you can have more than 1 version of java
installed at a time and the LO options allow you to choose which version you
use for LO.
Tools - Options - Java
and tick the older version of Java rather than the newest one.

I've just recently heard that saving in non-native formats 'often' causes
crashes but i've never had that problem in years of using LO/Go-OO/OOo.  I've
only fairly recently started keeping all documents in ODF format instead of MS
ones and that is more to encourage other people in my office to use LO.  When i
need to share with people outside the office that is when i save to MS format.