Hi :)
I think i need to explore this a bit more tomorrow.  I tried both types of
quotes and no quotes.  Then i made the field names unique and all lower-case
and i tried using a query as the source rather than a table.  Then i tried
editing my Sql code to the most basic example on the page
http://www.techonthenet.com/sql/insert.php
but even once i took out the "Select" part the error message kept grumbling
about it.  So i think i might need to write the code in Gedit or something and
then copy&paste the code into a fresh query.

I'm not quite sure what i'm doing wrong but that is not a big surprise.  I've
got a bit of reading to do and some of that should make more sense now i've
played around a bit.
Thanks all and regards from
Tom :)