krackedpress wrote
> … How much has been changed between 3.6.5 and 4.0.0 that affected the
> integration, other than the addition of "persona" to the UI?
> …
> I wonder why the integration will not work with 12.xx since that it the
> current version of Ubuntu?
> …
> why would they work on doing the work on the OS version that is not even
> out?

Good questions, and I think I know the answers. Canonical tends to freeze
applications for a specific version, releasing updated versions only if
needed for security. Firefox, Chromium and Thunderbird are the only
exceptions due to their unusual release mechanisms.

I believe that there have been large changes to the core code of Unity
between 12.04 and 12.10, and further changes to 13.04. So, that could
explain it: Canonical created package "lo-menubar" for Unity, but it works
(badly) only on LibreOffice 3.5 if I remember correctly. It does not work on
later versions, and indeed conflicts with them.

krackedpress wrote
> So if the next LTS is 14.04LTS, then there will be a lot of Ubuntu users
> [Unity or others] that will be still using 12.xx for another year or so.
> Now work for 12.xx, does not make sense.  It needs to work and not make"
> you wait till 13.04 or later.

Well, that's Canonical's way. You can either upgrade every six months to a
new Ubuntu version, or stick with the LTS. The structure is there to cater
for the home users who like to keep up-to-date (non-LTS) and the business
and corporate users who prefer longer-term stability (LTS). I tend to stick
with the LTS for stability, but because I use Libre Office extensively, I
prefer to keep Libre Office updated especially when earlier versions have
bugs.

Conclusion:

Given all the comments that have been given on this thread (and some more
that I received off-list), I believe we can conclude that it won't work
before 13.04.

I'll just have to wait for 14.04 before using the Unity Integration.
Fortunately, it is not a big deal. We can live with it.

Thank you everyone for your responses — they have been helpful.