On Fri, 2013-02-15 at 13:31 +0000, Tom Davies wrote:
> Hi :)
> Hmmm, what worries me is "MS" and "Standards" in the same sentence.
> Haven't we already learned, many times over, that MS's idea of
> open = closed

This is true for corporations, nothing specific to Microsoft.  That is
why you need Open implementations and the ratification of a standards
body.  CMIS has all these.

> standards and interoperable = only works once on one system
> or at least that seems to be the way it has always worked out historically.

Nope, that is already not true for CMIS.

> So while it looks good i am fairly convinced there is a trap here
> somewhere even if i can't see it and don't already know about it.  An
> OpenSource equivalent that uses the alleged 'standard' would be much
> more comforting.

There *IS* Open Source implementations of CMIS.  Alfresco is Open
Source.  And there is even CMIS plugins for Drupal.  There are several
other CMIS implementations, see the CMIS Wiki page - they even have a
column indicating if the implementation is Open Source or not.

--
Adam Tauno Williams  GPG D95ED383