Hi :)
So it's beginning to sound like there might be a problem with the install of
LibreOffice rather than with the file.

David, can you re-download a fresh new version of LibreOffice?  Either the
stable branch, 3.6.5,
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/?type=win-x86&lang=en-US&version=3.6.5
or the branch with newer features and greater compatibility, the 4.0.0
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/
or the 4.0.1 when that comes out in a few days.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan

While waiting for the download, or before starting on that, perhaps just try
renaming your "User Profile"
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/UserProfile

Renaming the user profile resets all settings and configurations "back to
factory defaults" so that usually fixes any weird problems and it's quite quick
to try.