Hi :)
It's still Base and some Wizards and some Extensions.  Something like 12% of
the code is written in Java but it's in those areas that people rarely use.

Base can mostly be used without needing Java but only if you use an external
back-end rather than the in-built one.  I think the Report builder still would
need it but Base experts seem to be advising people to avoid that anyway.  The
internal back-end is HsqlDb which runs on Java even if you use the much more
up-to-date version from their website as an external back-end.  There are other
smaller faster ones for small amounts of data.  HsqlDb seems to be the best of
those even though it depends on Java.  Non-java ones tend to be better for
large amounts of data and include Postgresql and MySql / MariaDb.  These last 3
seem to be the most frequently recommended by the Base Experts.

I've forwarded this to the Users List because there are quite a few Base
Experts there that might be able to correct me if i'm wrong or just generally
be a bit more helpful than i've been.