At 13:18 22/03/2013 +0200, Ian Whitfield wrote:
What is the correct syntax for 'EXACT' to compare text names in two columns? The help files give - EXACT("Text1","Text2")

That's right.

But I want to use the Cell references. I tried EXACT(B5,G5) but this does not work ...

What is your evidence? What does it do? You mean you have =EXACT(B5;G5) in a cell - with the equals sign? It gives a boolean value, but how it displays will depend on the formatting of the result cell.

... I tried with and without inverted comas and with a ';' in place of the',' but no luck!

Again, what happened?

Remember that the point of EXACT() is to test the *exact* similarity of the two strings, so an extra space somewhere or even a trailing space in one string will make them different, as will case differences.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker