At 21:15 24/03/2013 -0700, Jason C. Wells wrote:
I haven't had any luck figuring out a method to compare each element of a list of numbers to each element of a differently sized list of numbers. What I want would do something very much like VLOOKUP, but instead of matching strings, it would compare a number ...

VLOOKUP() works with numbers as well as with strings.

... using an inequality ...

If you have an inequality, you are not searching for a match, so I suspect VLOOKUP() is not what you need. Surely in this case some of your array values will satisfy the inequality and some not? In general, half of your list (well, a moiety of it) will satisfy your inequality and the rest not. Which of the many rows that satisfy your inequality do you wish to reference? Can you not just build a formula to achieve what you need?

... and then return a value from another column along the row where a match was found.

That's also easy with a formula.

Is there a vlookup function for numbers ...

Yes: it's called VLOOKUP().

... with ability to use inequalities to find a match?

I suspect that is not the best way to solve your problem.

Does this list allow attaching files? A small spreadsheet would describe what I want to do much better than words.

Actually, I doubt that this is true. You say you "haven't had any luck", so all we know is that whatever you sent would *not* do what you wanted; it wouldn't explain what you do want. It's generally better to explain carefully exactly what you are trying to do.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker