On 2013-04-26 06:25, david_lynch wrote:
 On 25/04/2013 17:58, T. R. Valentine wrote:
On 24 April 2013 11:47, david_lynch<david_ly...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
I use Libreoffice to process files over which I have no control. These are
text files but sometimes contain unusual codes.

LO (3.6.5.2 on Vista) seems to handle some values in cells inconsistently
... open a new spreadsheet:

set A2 =CHAR(127)
set A3 =A1=A2
set A4 =A2=""

A3 contains FALSE
A4 contains TRUE

Surely A3 and A4 should be the same, since A1 contains the null string.
When I do this, I get FALSE in cell A4 — but I'm not sure what is
being done here. I'm not sure what A1 contains if nothing has been
entered; A2 is the delete control character; A3 is basically asking if
the empty cell is equal to the delete control character (obviously
not, hence FALSE); and A4 is asking if the delete control character is
equal to nothing entered (obviously not, hence FALSE).
I have tried this again: I entered A4 as =A2="": I get TRUE, not FALSE: you get FALSE. I am on 3.6.5.2 on Vista.

Did you mean for the formula in A4 to be »=A1=""«  ??? because that
should be TRUE.
No, I mean =A2="".

The help function for the =CHAR(n) function says the value is from 1
to 255; using values above 255 produces Err:502. The null value would
be =CHAR(0), and even though this does not produce an error message,
Calc attempts to interpret it as something — which isn't null.

If I've misunderstood, please clarify.

It appears that LO is behaving differently on our two systems.
--
T. R. Valentine
Your friends will argue with you. Your enemies don't care.

I am on OpenSuse LO 3.6 and I get True for =A2="" when A@ is CHAR(127) or CHAR(0). In fact any non-printing CHAR. This is probably correct because "" is the empty string not a null. Any character in A2 that is not a string character probably results in an empty string.
steve