Hi :)
@ Alan.  Normally a greyed area like that indicates it is a Table of Contents
or index or something.  Uusually the right-click menu gives more options such
as "update ToC".  I'm not sure what has gone wrong with this one.  Hopefully
others  ...

@ Anne
Try
Tools - Options - Internet - "Browser Plugin"
and UNtick the box to prevent ODF documents from opening up in your
web-browser.  Quite a few people get the plugin for Firefox or whatever,
thinking it would be great and then regret it