And I remember when car owner's manuals were 1/4" thick at the most, and large (readable) print. My 2008 Toyota Prius owner's manual is 3/4" thick, small print, and spattered with dire paragraphs about everything causing injury or death! Made me want to turn in my license! It is not a good read and, like your experience, information is not easy to find in it. Oh, and the owner's maintenance manual is a separate manual - equally obtuse and with more dire warnings. Usually, when I get a new car, I go to the dealer's parts counter and order the factory shop manual for correct maintenance and understanding of what is "under the hood". When I did so for the Prius, the parts counter guy recommended not, saying the shop manual is intricately tied to the shop diagnostic computer system ($$$$$) and by itself, is not very helpful. So, i saved $100+ for the first time in my shadetree-mechanic career and, also for the first time in my decades of car-ownership, take it to the dealer for maintenance.
Girvin Herr

anne-ology wrote:
       ah, yes, a good book ... a readable manual ... ... ...

I've tried at various times to read these supposed helpful manuals only to discover more confusion ... it's like reading a foreign language yet there's no dictionary to use for help; and if they happen to have sketches ... well, these tend not to correspond with the written document.

Automobiles, since becoming computerized, supposedly have these helpful manuals - but reading them for something as simple as changing the clock [an inane idea anyway] is next to impossible ... the trained mechanics even have trouble with this one - it took 3 of them about 1/2 hour to finally figure out that one vehicle's settings were tied into the radio dials but only if the engine was running and the gear was in park ;-)

"crazy is as crazy does"