Hi :)
To copy your files from the external drive you 'just' need to open the folder
that shows all the files and also open the folder that shows your "My
Documents" folder and then just drag from the 1st one to the 2nd.

When i say " 'just' " it's because it can be difficult to just open a folder in
Win8.  I would tend to start off my gettign to the traditional desktop and then
try to figure it out from there.  To get to the traditional desktop i think
it's the tile/icon/thumbnail down on the bottom left but it might be different
on each machine.  I've only used 1 so far.

LibreOffice opens files and allows you to edit them and then re-save anywhere
you like that is within range.  It replaces Word, Excel and the rest but it
works a little differently sometimes.