Hi :)
If you are looking for a good guide about Macros then Andrew Pitonyak's guide
is supposedly the best
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Other_Documentation_and_Resources#Programmers
Apparently it is well worth the money but you might want to have a quick look
at the official guides for free first.  Andrew wrote most of the chapters about
Macros in those too as a first step into understanding Macros

So, start with Chapter 9 of the Getting Started Guide
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#Getting_Started_with_LibreOffice
Maybe have a look at Chapter 12 in the Calc Guide
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Calc_Guide
because spreadsheets and databases share some common ground i suspect.  Also
this whole handbook might be helpful!!
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Base_Handbook

Note that the entire Base Handbook has been updated for the 4.0.x branch of
LibreOffice already even though individual chapters were not done separately.
If you want the separate chapters you can always get the almost identical ones
for the 3.5-3.6 branches.

I'm not entirely sure any of this helps you but hopefully others will appear
later to let you know if you really do need macros.  Obviously Python is a more
useful language once you have gotten to grips with it but Basic might be easier
to learn