I have given my reasons in an explanation to a post by Luuk in this present
discussion.
But I think this is not an overkill, because if we have a significantly long
number
and we just look at the 3 digits to the right of the comma separator
and just drop the rest of the digits to the right of them - we shall be
risking to get an incorrect result.
The correct way to round the number will be to start at the rightmost
available digit and drop one digit at a time,
untill we reach the desired digit position.
At least this is correct in my oppinion.

Regards,
toodr