Hi :)
I find it easier to stick to using styles and then sometimes edit the styles as
a i go along.

I don't know of any format that doesn't throw in tons of extra formatting.  Rtf
is probably the one with the least extra random bits of unused code but it's a
legacy format that is out dated already.  Have you compared with the  coding in
other formats?  I think Odt manages to a void a lot of the personal information
that gets stored in Doc and DocX.  I've not really looked at other formats
much.