On 08/18/2013 04:35 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
At 07:55 18/08/2013 -0400, Virgil Arrington wrote:
On 08/18/2013 07:43 AM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
... LO allows me to control widows and orphans separately, which I appreciate since widows aren't nearly the problem that orphans are.

And, of course, I think I got that backwards. Orphans aren't a problem, Widows can be.

As I understand it, an orphan is the first line of a paragraph alone at the bottom of the page, and a widow is the last line of a paragraph at the top of a page.

You are not alone in your confusion! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widows_and_orphans says "There is some disagreement about the definitions of widow and orphan; what one source calls a widow the other calls an orphan."

Brian Barker

If I recall correctly, StarOffice had the widow/orphan designations opposite from OpenOffice. I could be misremembering that, but I do seem to remember some discrepancy between versions of the programs over the years.

The way I heard it explained is that an "orphan has a future but no past, and a widow has a past, but no future."

Virgil