On 09/07/2013 06:08 PM, jonathon wrote:

>I don't know what publishers you are looking at, but all of the
>publishers whose submission guidelines I've read, have requested files
>in MS Doc file format. (FWIW, I've read over the submission guidelines
>of over 100 publishers in the last year.)

You missed the context, which was the format publishers use for layout and
which they asked contracted writers to submit in -- not the format they accept
for submissions.

>> I think the avoidance of true small caps and old style numbering has more
>>to  do with the practice of font creators, most of whom omit these features.

>That might be true for FLOSS font creators. It is not true for the
>foundries whose fonts are in the 4+ digit price range.

That's a very rareified category of fonts. Look at Adobe and other popular
foundries, and you'll find that including small caps and old style numbering
are rare enough that, when a typeface does include them, they are major
selling points.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7189 (on Pacific time)
blog: https://brucebyfield.wordpress.com