Doug wrote:
On 11/21/2013 02:00 PM, Mark Bourne wrote:
Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:
Then there are the younger users that know "#" only as "hash-tag" and
not "pound-sign". Yes many of the "standard" characters have different
names depending on the languages used.

In the UK, "#" is more commonly known as "hash" or "number sign".

For us, "pound sign" usually means "£" ;o)

Windows Vista's character map (and probably Windows 7's as well?)
displays the name of the selected character (and can search for
characters by name). It calls # "Number Sign" and £ "Pound Sign". I
think those are the "official" names defined by Unicode.

Mark.

I always think of # as being a sharp sign.

The musical sharp symbol is slightly different: ♯

When I was in grade school,
over 60 years ago, "lb." meant pound(s). Writing a script in the
bash shell in Linux, you start with " #! " which is known as
"shabang."

"shabang", I think, is short for "hash bang" - another name for "!" being a bang.