Hi :)
I got the thanks off-list but thought it worth letting others know it
had been solved.

Since it was the format then it might be possible to recover the images.
*  DocX often reorganises images to lay on top of each other so try
moving any existing images to see if another one or few is hidden
under
*  DocX often moves images to other pages or tries to hide them off
either side or top or bottom of the page

A slightly more complicated recovery technique that can be used with Odt or DocX
1.  create a copy of the file
2.  change the file-ending from DocX to .zip
3.  double-click to open as an archive
4.  find the folder called something like "images" and drag the images
out of there to a useful folder on your machine

I'm glad we didn't have to go that far this time though :)