On 12/08/2013 04:22 AM, Gabriel Risterucci wrote:
2013/12/8 CVAlkan <fobe...@enteract.com>

Hi:

I'm using LibreOffice Writer Version: 4.1.3.2 Build ID:
70feb7d99726f064edab4605a8ab840c50ec57a under 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

I received a notification that an update was available for the Language
Tool, so I clicked and, for the first time ever, it actually downloaded
something, but the installation failed with the following message:

==================================

[snip]​​

java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/languagetool/openoffice/Main :
Unsupported major.minor version 51.0

[snap]​​

The extension will not be installed.
==========================

In Options: LibreOffice: Advanced, I show two Java Runtime Environments
installed:
(selected): Sun Microsystems 1.6.0_27
(not selected): Oracle Corporation 1.7.0_25

What do I do? I don't want to break anything else that uses Java and
everything else seems to work.

​Here's your problem. It seems like the languagetool extension is built
against Java7 (which is the currently recommended version anyway), and your
installation of Libreoffice use Java6.
(for more informations, ​see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_class_file#General_layout, which gives a
helpful list of major version for java class files amongst other things).

And <http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/languagetool> states that version 2.3 of LanguageTool "requires Java 7 now." So it is likely that the code actually makes use of features only available in Java 7, and was not only by accident compiled without a --target=6 switch.

Though, of course, the rather cryptic error message when trying to install it is not optimal...

Stephan