Hi :)
Another way of following Regina's route is to;
1.  make a copy of the file
2.  rename the file-ending from .docX (or from .odt) to .zip
3.  double click on the zip-file
4.  look in the likely-looking folders until you find the object
5.  drag that out of the document

To fully follow her route you might
6.  delete the object from the zip-file
7.  rename the .zip to .docx (or .odt)
8.  open the file with LibreOffice and carry on with her 2nd-to-last
paragraph (create a link to the object and then delete the remaining
broken-object

Once you have done that sort of thing once or twice you realise that
you don't really have to rename at all.  Just a right-click allows you
to "open with ...".  Some OSes make it easier.  It's toughest in
Windows because Windows tries to hide the file-ending.  On Windows you
might need to tweak your machine a bit to make it easier and i only
know how to do that on Xp.  It's probably possible on Win7 and Win8
but if i get into anything like this i reboot into Ubuntu or something
to avoid faffing around.