Hi :)
There is nothing actually stopping you from continuing to use Xp.
Something like 30% of desktops are still on Xp.

Just take care to avoid phishing scams etc.  Also consider a dual-boot on
it.

If you want to give a Gnu&Linux a go then it's best to download (torrent if
poss) a few different versions.  Ubuntu makes it easy to make a LiveUsb to
test-drive the distro.  On 2 of 'my' really ancient machines all different
versions of Mint crashed or were horribly slow but that says more about my
machines than about Mint.  On a merely fairly old machine it flew along and
looked really nice.  Err, i only tried the cinamon, mate and kde versions
(to be fair that leaves xfce and debian to go)