On 04/28/2014 03:35 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
At 16:05 27/04/2014 -0700, James E. Lang wrote:
Mailing lists are a way to share comments with a group of people who
share an interest in a particular topic. As such private replies
_should_ be the exception rather than the rule.

It's true that some lists - perhaps most - are for discussion, but not
all. The web site advertises this list thus: "The user support mailing
list address is our main channel for LibreOffice users needing help with
a problem". Users with problems do not necessarily want to engage in a
discussion: they just want help. Nor do list members want to discuss,
perhaps for the umpteenth time, such questions as why LibreOffice is not
a clone of Microsoft Office.

I haven't yet a strong opinion about this :-) :-) :-) :-) , but libreoffice-mailing-list could add an advise that say for example "this list is considered public and the reply-to field isn't taken into account..."

Starting with this post, any message that I send to this mailing list
via any of the three mail clients that I use will carry this header:

This will tell the mail clients from which replies are sent that this
is the preferred address to which a reply should be sent. This is my
way of getting around what I consider to be a wrong headed
configuration of this mailing list.

Interestingly, the fact that you can do this defeats your point! The
to which the *author* of the message suggests that replies be sent" (my
emphasis). The author of a message, of course, is you - not the list.
The header is provided to give *you* this control - and by not
interfering, this list preserves this facility for you as it should.

...could be an option...., but, if I use the email address also for other mailing lists what happen if I set the "reply-to" field with all the mailing lists addresses???

I ... will NOT participate in a flame war.

No incendiaries here!

only firemans that puts out flames with beer...:-) :-) :-)

Brian Barker

thanx :-) ciao :-)  pier...

P.S. I was sending this email privately instead of publicly again...:-) :-) :-) but stopped just in time...:-) :-)